Wondering if your drivers can take their LeasePlan car abroad? The simple answer is yes! Whether it’s for a business meeting, a weekend away or even a holiday, travelling abroad with a car is even more accessible than ever with a growing number of European train and ferry connections.
There are a few things that your drivers need to do in advance prior to leaving the country to ensure that they are safe and legal whilst driving abroad, these are as follows.
Driver’s Foreign Travel Check List
- Vehicle documents - Call the LeasePlan DriverLine on 0344 493 7659, select the Foreign Travel option and ask a member of our team for the required documentation. This must be done at least 2 weeks prior to travel. You will need to take copies of these with you. The Foreign Travel team are available between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. A fee of £12.40 inc VAT will be charged for obtaining foreign travel vehicle documents to cover the supply and administration required.
- Insurance certificate – Ensure that you have adequate insurance cover and obtain a copy of your insurance certificate and take this with you.
- Driving Licence – Check that this is
indate, they need to be renewed every 10 years and ensure that you take this with you.
- Legal requirements - Find out what the legal requirements are for the countries that you will be driving in, including those that you will just be passing through. France, for
example requireall vehicles to have approved alcohol testers (breathalysers), these can be purchased from auto stores or motoring organisations.
- Spare wheel – Check that this is usable. Some vehicles may have a tyre repair
set,if this is applicable check that all parts are packed and ready if required.
- Tyre pressure – Adjust your tyre pressure according to the weight that you are carrying.
- UK Identifier – If you do not have a Euro-style number plate you should affix a GB sticker onto the back of the vehicle.
- Customs – Check if there are any restrictions
ofcarrying goods between countries
- Breakdown cover Make sure you save the LeasePlan Assist European partner telephone number in your mobile phone for peace of mind - 0800 4243 2444
- Supplies – Ensure that you have ample drinks, food and blankets in the boot in case you face delays or encounter bad weather.
Are you travelling within 2 weeks?
We appreciate that the unexpected can happen and that your drivers may need to travel urgently! If this is the case we’ll do our very best to assist them. Please ask them to call DriverLine on 0344 493 7659 and select the Foreign Travel option. The Foreign Travel team are available between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
European breakdown cover
LeasePlan Assist Europe is included within ALL LeasePlan Business Contract Hire agreements. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, your driver can feel safe with the knowledge that help is just a call away.
- Cover available 24 hours, 365 days a year
- Roadside Assistance (including road traffic accidents)
- Vehicle recovery to the UK
- Alternative travel arrangements and emergency accommodation